Hours and Admission

Admission: Free

Hours: 10 am to 4:30 pm Daily
Closed New Years, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas

1296769205 MapsDirections

PhoneMuseum: 843-228-2951

PhoneGift Shop: 843-228-2166

Historical & Museum Society

PIMS-2014-logo-small

The Historical & Museum Society supports the Parris Island Museum by providing for the preservation, perpetuation, publication and display of manuscripts, books, relics, pictures and other objects of historical significance.

Donations, Membership and Gift Shop purchases allow the Historical & Museum Society to support the Museum.  Visit our site to learn more: PIHMS

 

Marine Corps Recruit Depot

1500s to 1700s

The Historic era for Native Americans began when the first Europeans madecontact. The exact date of this for the area around Parris Island isunknown, but it may have been Spanish explorers about 1515. In the1520s, Spanish ships sailed into Port Royal Sound, calling it SantaElena. They recorded the area as being called "Chicora" by the natives.In the 1560s, France and then Spain colonized Parris Island, and bothhad frequent contact with nearby Indians, notably the Escamaçu and Orista (Edisto). In the mid 1600s, Parris Island was occupied by Indians calling themselves the "St Ellens," who were apparently Cusabo Indians,and greatly influenced by Spanish Catholic missionaries. Their large village was on the tip of the island in what is now the Charlesfort-Santa Elena National Historic Landmark near Legends Golf Course.

historicindiansIn the 1680s, Yamasee Indians began moving into the sea islands,establishing several large towns which carried on trade with Scottish and English colonists around Beaufort and Charleston. After the Yamasee War, most native groups moved farther inland, leaving the area around Port Royal.

Jean Ribault, leader of the 1562 expedition, erected stone pillars toclaim the region for France. He also tried to establish trade withlocal Indians. This engraving was drawn in the late 1580s.