An Indian Town on Parris Island, ca. 1650-1667
After the Spanish left abandoned Santa Elena, there was only occasional occupation by Indians until the mid 1600s. About 1650 a large village was established just north of the former Spanish colony. In the 1660s,English explorers William Hilton and Robert Sandford reported the inhabitants called the town “St Ellens” and knew some Spanish.
They also saw a large wooden cross in front of a great council house and a structure of sawn lumber and iron spikes under construction. These clues, along with several Indian men with Spanish friar-like haircuts, made it clear Spain still maintained a presence through visiting missionaries and soldiers. The town was burned in 1667 by raiding Westo Indians and never rebuilt.